that’s probably the most cliche blog post headline ever, but who cares. i was not sad to see 2016 have the door hit it on its way out, and i have nothing but positive feels for what this year is to bring. i’m coming off of a much-needed professional + re-nest holiday break, where i just got to soak up my family, see the excitement of my boys at the holidays, go back to indiana, and actually have an un-interrupted convo with mr. re-nest. (you parents know exactly what i’m talking about, right?)
so, i’m entering 2017 with a positive attitude, some super fun ideas + some goals…and what better way to come back to this blog than to do a little sharing? (dare i say that i have made some resolutions?)
let’s start with a few personal goals:
• me, my health + i. let’s just say 2016 was not the most fabulous year of taking care of myself. it all started with this post where i shared the hormone shake-up that was going on + it’s ill-effects. well, we got those oh-so-fun shake-ups taken care of, but that (along with me sort of writing myself off/feeling kind of sorry for myself) meant i’ve added some pounds. i would go in spurts with exercising, but nothing long lasting enough to actually make a difference. i would do the same thing with my nutrition. and, then there would be cookies. or margaritas. or for the love of all things, my favorite food in the whole world: chips and guacamole.
so, 2017 is in my mom’s words “the year to take care of me again.” there are really no excuses. we are fortunate enough to have a treadmill and elliptical in the basement. i have a membership to beachbody on demand. we belong to the ymca (which has child care, mind you). it will not destroy my children’s lives if mommy puts them in front of an ipad or a video for 30 minutes to run, or do strength training. say it again, “it will not destroy my children’s lives to spend 30 minutes in front of the ipad.” i’m happy to say that i’m on day ten of working out every single day. it’s baby steps. but i honestly don’t remember when i’ve hit this long of a stretch. (oh, and i should also mention that my extremely competitive nature kicked in when the apple watch released their 2017 activity badge last week. so yeah, i have to get that.)
exercise is great, but i’m kinda hoping to lose some the excess i brought along from 2016, and wanting to really try and be better about what i feed my body. as of today, i’m proud to say that i am one week+ without a diet coke, and i’m on day eight of the whole30 reset. yep, eight days of no dairy, no refined sugar, no processed anything, no processed grains. while this reset is more about gaining balance in your body vs. losing weight, there might be some weight benefits after my thirty days. check back with me on february 2nd and see how i’m feeling.
• reading. no joke, the extent of me sitting down to read a book in the last seven years has been isolated to the two solo vacations that mr. re-nest + i have taken since becoming parents. there’s nothing i love more than sitting on the beach or by the pool with a book. this year, that changes. i subscribed to goodreads. i have a giant list of books i want to read, and i also joined their 2017 challenge. (my goal is a measly one book per month, but we all have to start somewhere, right?) (p.s. i’m almost already through my january book! i’m reading “truly, madly, guilty” by liane moriarty. awesome. highly recommend!)
• getaway with mr. re-nest. we didn’t do this in 2016 (except for an overnight in milwaukee when i convinced him to tag along with me when i had a craft show). this week is our 2017 getaway: my scientist is out in california for work, so i’m flying out for us to have a little getaway this weekend. i can’t wait. sunshine. warmth. time with mr. re-nest. like so many parents know, it’s so hard to get this kind of time. and, we spent a lot of years not realizing how important these kinds of trips are. all i can say is: if you haven’t done at least a small getaway with your spouse/partner away from the kids, do it.
• new designs (of course!) i have so many ideas down for new framed prints + new childrens’ designs! more 8″ x 10″ framed options that will be perfect for a home office, a kitchen, wherever! plus, i’ve got so many cool plans for the children’s shop with framed prints + canvases, all trending with the latest designs, patterns + themes for kids!
• bring on the party! there’s more party goodness coming to the shop this year…i’m even in the prep stages for putting in a display in a local shop featuring cake toppers, cupcake toppers, framed art + banners….plus, i’m finally going to officially offer my large birthday banners in the shop!
• shows. shows. and shows. 2016 was a year where i dipped a toe in some new endeavors….new shows, new distribution + features….and i want to keep it going in 2017. my big goal is to take part in some indiana shows….so if you know any, let me know! (p.s. i’ve already been accepted to my first show of 2017: re:craft & relic in franklin, wisconsin!)
• oh…i have so many things i want to do! first things, first: i want to keep writing this blog. i’m trying for weekly posts so that we can chat + i can share the latest happenings in the studio. so, i promise y’all you’ll hear from more of me this year!
• along with the blogging, i want to grow this little blog that could. even if that comes from going to one conference or watching one webinar, i want to keep learning more about how to make this even better for you.
there you have it. my goals are written down and i’m committed. it’s a busy life we lead, but it’s one i love. here’s to 2017….the year of being brave, being a little self-focused + being focused.